Gaines Charter Township Water & Sewer Department


Be Safe Rather than Sorry 



Remember - disposable does not mean flushable!


Gaines Charter Township strives to protect and promote the health, safety and welfare of the Township by maintaining an efficient sewer system and a high quality water supply for area residents.

The Gaines Charter Township Water and Sewer Department bills homes and businesses that are connected to the water and/or sewer system quarterly.  If you have questions about your bill, or are experiencing any problems with your service, please contact our office . If your usage is higher than normal, click here for a quick reference check list of possible reasons for high water usage.

If you are moving, out of or into, a property in Gaines Charter Township that is connected to our utility, please call us one week prior to the event date.  By giving us one weeks notice, you allow us to get an accurate meter read for the final billing, which in turn gives us the correct information for the new owner.

All water and sewer assessment information requests from title companies must be received via email or fax.  Please fax requests to 616-698-2490, or email requests to Karen Rounds.                                                          

Gaines Charter Township is a wholesale water customer of the City of Wyoming, and a wholesale sewer customer of both the City of Wyoming and the City of Grand Rapids.

For after hours water/sewer emergencies
           please call 616-248-5024

  Remember to put FOG where it belongs!
Click here for details.


         Tracy Lawrence
           Water/Sewer Administrator
         (616) 431-4660

          Karen Rounds
            Water/Sewer Clerk
         (616) 433-2916

 Back to top

Billing and Payment

Please click here to access your water and sewer billing or history information. 

Figure provided may not represent the most current information.  Gaines Charter Township is not responsible or liable for any amounts of information provided.  All usage is billed in arrears and is a lien against the property; therefore additional charges may apply to the account balance.

Payment by check or cash can be made at our office, or by mail.  For after hours payments, you may use the drop box located across from the building entrance, which enables you to remain in your car while depositing your envelope into the box. Payments deposited in the drop box are considered paid on the following business day. When using the drop box, we strongly recommend payment by check, in lieu of cash.

To pay by credit or debit card, please click here.  NOTE:  The card processing company will charge a fee for processing the payment.

To avoid the fee our card processor charges, consider utilizing your bank's online bill pay option.  Gaines Charter Township can be set up as a Payee, making it easy to transfer funds. The Township does not charge a fee for this option, however check with your bank to ensure there are no bank fees.

To set up automatic payment from your checking or savings account,  complete the Automatic Funds Transfer Form. The completed form along with an account statement or voided check can be returned to the Water and Sewer Department at the Township office or via email, mail or fax (616-698-2490).  

If you would like to enroll in paperless billing, please email us your name, physical address of the property, email address for bill delivery and a phone number.  


Application Forms and Permits

Irrigation Metering

If your home has an irrigation system for watering your lawn and landscaping, you may want to consider the installation of an irrigation meter.  The use of an irrigation system will cause a higher usage bill for customers who use their system frequently.  Because your quarterly sewer billing is based on the metered water usage, the installation of an irrigation meter can reduce the customer's charges for sewer usage.  When an irrigation meter is installed, all the water that goes through the irrigation meter to the outside will be charged a water rate only.  The sewer billing will be charged on the water that the domestic meter (house meter) uses.

Steps to take to install an Irrigation Meter:

  • Obtain an irrigation permit ($525, 2021 meter, permit fee) from the Water and Sewer Department.  You will receive the permit and the meter bar for your plumber to install.
  • Retain the services of a licensed plumber of your choice to install the meter bar.  All plumbers must obtain a plumbing permit from the Township Inspection Department.
  • After the meter bar has been installed,please call the BGUA (616-971-0002) 24 hrs. in advance, to make an appointment for the installation of the irrigation meter. For permitting and inspection of the plumbing, contact the Building Department at 616-438-9076.


The Water and Sewer Department completes a rate study every fall and reviews the projected revenue requirements for the coming year. The recommendation for rate changes (increases/decreases) are then brought to the Township Board for approval before implementation.

Please click on the current years adopted ordinance for the rates and charges.


Byron Gaines Utility Authority (BGUA)

The Byron Gaines Utility Authority manages the operation andbgua maintenance of our water and sewer system.  The BGUA staff has been trained to the highest standard as they work to serve our community.
Please extend a warm greeting to our staff if they come to your home or business.  Each staff member of BGUA has a BGUA ID and will be happy to present it upon request. 

 Click here for Byron Gaines Utility Authority (BGUA) employment opportunities.
 Click here for Backflow Preventer informationgr smallpdf
Click here for unapproved sump pump informationgr smallpdf

Click here for a BGUA Application for Employment

Hydrant Use Policy

As of January 1, 2013, the hydrant use policy has been updated to reflect Byron Township's and Gaines Charter Township's Water & Sewer Ordinance, Section 1306 Central Filling Location.  

Please call the Byron Gaines Utility Authority @ 616-971-0002 for more information                                                                       

Back to Top

Water Reports

Codes and Ordinances


 Most application forms and permits are in PDF Format  gr smallpdf  and require the FREE Adobe® Acrobat® Reader available from the Adobe website.

Gaines Charter Township maintains this web-site to enhance public access to information.  Content is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as certified, unless so stated.

 Back to Top