Welcome to the office of the Gaines Charter Township Clerk. The Clerk's Office oversees:
- All aspects of the Township Accounting System, including payroll and overseeing audits
- All Township Cemeteries
- All elements of every election
- Freedom of Information Act Coordination
Voter Registration Information
You are eligible to vote if you are:
- A resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote for at least 30 days before Election Day
A citizen of the United States
At least 18 years old on or before the next election
- Not serving a sentence in jail or prison
You are not required to re-register for each election unless you have moved or changed your name. If you have moved and need to re-register, you can call the Clerk's office at 616-698-7980, or click this link to the Secretary of State's Office to make changes online.
With the passage of Proposal 3 in November of 2018, new voters are now able to register to vote at the following locations up to 15 days in advance of an Election.
- Any Secretary of State Branch Office
- Kent County Clerk's Office
- Gaines Charter Township Clerk's Office
- Assistant Clerk for voter registration at specified government agencies
- By mail
New voters are also able to register to vote in person at their local Clerk's Office 14 days in advance of an Election and up to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. Proof of residency must be provided, either with a photo id that matches the voter's address in the jurisdiction, or one of the following (showing name and current address):
- a current utility bill
- bank statement
- government check
- other government document
Michigan Voter Information Center (MVIC) has additional information such as:
- How do I register to vote?
- Find your clerk
- Absentee ballots
- Work at the Polls
- Local election calendar
- Map to your polling location
The MVIC has gone mobile ~ click here for details
With the passage of Proposal 3 in November of 2018, all registered voters are now eligible to vote Absentee. If you would like to be placed on our permanent Absentee Voter list, you may contact us by phone or email. This would ensure that you automatically receive an application for an Absentee Ballot prior to every election that you are eligible to vote in.
- Michigan Voter Information Center (MVIC)
There are nine precincts in Gaines Charter Township. For your convenience we have listed the precincts and their locations by number:
- Precinct 1 - Gaines Charter Township Offices, 8555 Kalamazoo Avenue SE
- Precinct 2 - Gaines Charter Township Offices, 8555 Kalamazoo Avenue SE
- Precinct 3 - Gaines Branch Library, 421 68th Street SE
- Precinct 4 - Heritage Baptist Church, 1570 60th Street SE
- Precinct 5 - Heritage Baptist Church, 1570 60th Street SE
- Precinct 6 - Hillside Community Church, 1440 68th Street SE
- Precinct 7 - Providence Christian Reformed Church, 7730 Eastern Ave. SE
- Precinct 8 - Ada Bible Church, 2045 68th Street SE
- Precinct 9 - Ada Bible Church, 2045 68th Street SE
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
The Township Clerk's Office serves as Freedom of Information Act Coordinator for Gaines Charter Township. Click here for a FOIA Request and policy and procedure documents.
Gaines Charter Township
8555 Kalamazoo Ave., SE
Caledonia, MI 49316
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
616-698-6640 Ext. 130 or 616-698-7980
There are three cemeteries within the boundaries of Gaines Charter Township. Currently, Blain Cemetery and Dutton Cemetery have lots available. Lots are $300.00 for Township residents, and $1,000.00 for non-residents.
Blain Cemetery: 1270 - 68th Street
Dutton Cemetery: 7000 Hanna Lake SE
- South Gaines Cemetery: 1601 92nd St., SE
Area cemetery finder
Quick Reference Guide to Cemetery Rules
Transparency and Accountability
In September of 2014, Governor Rick Snyder signed into law Pubic Act 252. In order for municipalities to receive additional revenue sharing funds for the State, the act requires municipalities to create a "dashboard" where residents can find the following information:
- Financial Summary:
Most application forms and permits are in PDF Format and require the FREE Adobe® Acrobat® Reader available from the Adobe website.
Gaines Charter Township maintains this web-site to enhance public access to information. Content is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as certified, unless so stated.