Gaines Charter Township Assessing Department
Assessing Department Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30AM - 5:00PM
The Gaines Charter Township Assessing Dept. is seeking an Assessing Intern.
This is a seasonal/temporary position.
Please click here for a complete job description.
Interested persons should complete an Application for Employment and contact Teresa Zimmerman at
616-698-6640 or email@example.com
CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT OUR 2017 CYCLICAL RE-INSPECTION QUESTIONNAIRE
From the Gaines Charter Township Assessing Staff:
We will be conducting our cyclical property re-inspections starting in May and continuing through September. The State Tax Commission advises us to visit each property in the Township on a five-year cycle. The purpose is to verify our records and update if necessary. By allowing our staff to inspect the outside of your property and providing the requested information you will ensure that we have accurate records and can perform fair and uniform assessments while avoiding errors.
The staff will notify you approximately 2 weeks in advance by letter and questionnaire. The property owner can respond two ways, by returning the questionnaire by mail or by clicking the link provided above.
In keeping with safety and security procedures, all personnel from the Assessing Office will be carrying a picture ID.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
Please click here for an important notice to persons holding personal property in Gaines Charter Township
The Assessing Department is responsible for the inventory of all property within Gaines Charter Township, and the valuation of all the Township's taxable property. They maintain records of current ownership, assessed and taxable values, property characteristics and market data. The Assessing Department follows the requirements of the General Property Tax Law of the State of Michigan.
In addition, the Assessor is responsible for ensuring that every resident who qualifies, receives a Principal Residence (Homestead) Exemption. Property transfers are also reviewed to determine whether or not a transferred property should be uncapped.
You can find the latest news from the Assessing Department by visiting the Township's Active News Area!
The staff of Gaines Charter Township's Assessing Department is well educated, experienced and happy to be of service. Staff name, title, and contact information is listed below for your convenience.
616-698-6640 Ext. 129
616-698-6640 Ext. 115
616-698-6640 Ext. 118
Taxable Value, assessment, Principal Residence Exemptions; the assessing system is quite complex. We've compiled a list of quick facts to help you understand the assessing system. If you don't see the information you need, feel free to stop in or call us.
- Annual changes of assessment are based on sales in the neighborhood. There are over 60 neighborhoods in Gaines Charter Township. Your neighborhood rarely consists of just the homes on your street.
- Your taxable value can never exceed your assessed value.
- Principal Residence Exemptions that are in effect January 1st each year, stay in effect for the calendar year.
- The June 1st and November 1st filing deadlines for Principal Residence Exemptions applies to new applications only. You do not need to reapply each year.
- A property Transfer Affidavit must be filed whenever real estate is transferred.
- The Assessor is not permitted by State Law to set your new assessment at one half of your purchase price.
- It is your responsibility as a taxpayer, to review your property record card periodically to be sure you agree with all the information that is currently on record.
- The Assessing Department staff is available Monday thru Friday from 8:30AM - 5:00PM.
- Our public records are open for inspection during normal business hours.
- Affidavit Claiming Exemption from School Operating Mileage Levied for New Construction Located on Development Property
- Application for Exemption of Real and/or Personal Property
- 2017 Personal Property 5076 Exemption Form
- Request to Rescind Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption
Have you ever wondered how many properties there are in Gaines Township; or about the sales we use to determine your assessment? Follow one of the links below for some statistics from the Assessor's office:
Aerial photos, bus, road and other information is now available to residents through the
REGIS Public Internet Mapping System, an agency of the Grand Valley Metro Council.
Click on the logo below for details:
Please click here to access a Gaines Charter Township parcel finder map.
We have provided a link to BS&A software so that you can look up information pertaining to real property, special assessments, tax payments (current and history), water and sewer accounts, and building permits. Please click here to be redirected to the BS&A website.